Program Leader - Summer 2014
Program Leaders are responsible for planning, packing and leading urban and retreat weekends and trips for Project Canoe’s youth in Toronto and Northern, Ontario. Each urban activity is comprised of 4 staff members and 8 youth participants. Our retreat weekends will have 6 staff and 10 youth. Leaders are provided with information regarding the youth prior to each excursion. Leaders are responsible for engaging and supporting the youth and making appropriate safety and leadership decisions regarding the trip/excursion. At all points of the trip the Program Leaders must maintain a youth-focused approach and keep emotional and physical safety of the youth as their primary concern. Program Leaders are also responsible for all equipment and completing all documentation required by Project Canoe. Program Leaders are expected to follow Project Canoe’s philosophy for working with our youth and adhere to all policies and procedures. Program Leaders will also have training, maintenance, and clerical responsibilities (see below).
This position is funded by the Service Canada – Canada Summer Jobs program. Therefore, in order to be eligible for this position, applicants must meet all of the criteria listed below.
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment
- Was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- Intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- Student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and;
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial /territorial legislation and regulations.
- 2+ seasons of experience working with our youth population or 4+ seasons working with youth
- Bronze Cross (NLS preferred)
- Standard First Aid with CPR
- Must be comfortable in a collaborative working environment
- Exemplifies such qualities: social justice and environmental responsibility, self-awareness, safety awareness, passion for continuous learning and mentorship
- Experience leading outdoor education programming
- ORKA Canoe and Kayak certification or equivalent experience
- Criminal reference check (vulnerable sector) within 6 months of employment start date
- Signed medical examination within one year of employment start date, certifying fitness for job duties
- Copies of certifications (must be current)
- Minimum 3 references, two of which must be related to working with youth
- Must be comfortable in a collaborative staff working structure
A Note About Accommodations - When not onan overnight excursion, staff will be required to find their own accommodation in the city of Toronto or the GTA.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume to Elisa at: firstname.lastname@example.org referencing "Program Leader - Summer 2014" in subject line.
Questions/concerns can also be directed to Elisa via email or phone 416.778.4311
Project Canoe would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.