What makes us unique
1 staff:2 youth ratio
We have an industry-leading staff to youth ratio of one staff for every two youth. This allows us to foster positive personal connections between all trip participants, helping youth to build new connections and develop social skills.
NO FINANCIAL BARRIERS
We will never turn a youth away from trip due to financial barriers. Over our 40 year history we have bridged the gap for thousands of young people who otherwise would have been denied access to the Great Canadian Outdoors. We believe all young people should have the chance to experience the benefits of canoe tripping regardless of their economic situation.
SPECIALIZED AND HIGHLY-TRAINED Staff
- All staff have Advanced Wilderness First Aid, CPR and National Lifesaving Society certifications
- On top of this, our five-week training period prepare our leaders with:
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention certification
- Suicide Intervention certification
- Training provided by experts of Paediatric Psychiatry, learning disabilities, FASD, Anti-Oppression, anxiety, newcomer youth, First Nations, Metis & Inuit land claim issues, and more
more than A VACATION
A canoe trip is an unforgettable fun-filled experience. However, our programs are intended to have a long-lasting impact. Our staff recognize and build upon the strengths of each young person. Each trip is tailored to the specific youth participants, helping them foster skills and traits that will help them succeed in life.
BEYOND THE TRIP
A youth's experience with Project Canoe doesn't begin and end with a bus ride. Before trip, each youth meets with our intake team one-on-one. This meeting is an opportunity for the youth to ask any questions about trip, and for the staff to learn about the youth's individual needs
After trip, each youth receives a personalized letter written by their trip leaders. They are also given the opportunity to participate in our year-round urban programs in Toronto. Youth can then move up to leadership trips, internships, and even pursue staff positions.