Summer Intern Program Now Hiring

Our Summer Intern Program is now full for 2013. If you're interested in hearing about opportunities for next year, feel free to reach out to Thank you! Contract: June 22 – August 30, 2013

Location: Temagami, ON

Honorarium: $1,000 (plus food, accommodation and costs of qualifications)

*25% pay advance offered at beginning of contract, with remaining 75% paid upon completion of contract.

Project Canoe is a non-profit charitable organization that uses the outdoors, including wilderness canoe trips, to create a transformative environment in which our youth develop life skills, social competencies, and resiliency.  We partner with our youth by supporting them as they carry these newly developed skills and successes forward to manage the complex challenges in their lives.  Our youth come from a wide variety of backgrounds and are most often experiencing economic, social, behavioural, emotional and/or cultural challenges in their daily lives.  As an organization, we strive to create an atmosphere that is respectful and honours the strengths, skills and experience of each youth, intern and staff member.

We are looking for motivated, cooperative, and flexible interns who are interested in learning how to lead canoe trips for youth.

At Project Canoe, room and board is provided to our interns for the entire duration of their contract, including all the necessary training.  You will learn about the psycho-social factors that influence the behaviours of youth.  In addition, camping skills needed to lead a wilderness canoe trip will be taught and practiced throughout the training program.  Also, interns have the opportunity to earn certificates in Bronze Cross water rescuing and Wilderness First Aid with CPR.  The ultimate goal of our intern program is to set you up to gain employment at an organization working with young people, including leading wilderness canoeing trips in the camping industry. Check out our Life at Briggs page to learn more about living in Temagami.

Minimum Qualifications

  • You are at least 18 years old
  • Have strong swimming ability (Bronze Medallion preferred)
  • Previous canoe tripping experience
  • Previous experience working / volunteering with children or youth

Detailed Intern Position Overview 2013 and  Intern Application 2013 forms are available here. Please submit completed applications to Elisa Traficante at

Please do not hesitate to contact us  at or 416.778.4311 with any questions or concerns.

Project Canoe would like to thank all applicants for their interest;

However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

Project Canoe is committed to employment equity, and welcomes applicants from the full diversity of the community.